Sunday, March 31, 2013

I might finally be losing it...

It took five kids in quick order but yep, I think they have done me in!

You remember I had forgotten St. Patrick's Day right? It gets better... (No! I didn't forget Easter!)

I was pretty excited to get a cute little invitation from one of Ian's church friends for a birthday party! He is in Ian's church class but he also goes to Duncan's preschool because he is in a wheelchair. (They will likely be in the same class when Ian gets to go to school next year.) Ian was excited about it and we talked about it quite a bit. So when Thursday rolled around I had Ian hop out of bed from his nap early to get ready to go to Kyle's house for a party! (Never mind that I had forgotten to get a little gift for Kyle so I had to run to the store while the kids were in school that morning...)

We pull up and no one else was there. I see one of their other daughter's on the parkway with her wheel chair, happy as can be, making friends. Not too far behind her Kyle and their mom. I thought what an odd time it was to take a walk, being that it is right before his party... So that got me thinking, I grabbed the invitation and the party was the DAY BEFORE! Yes, we missed it! So I was going to go with the whole "we missed the party but brought a present" thing but I am not very good at it since the mom knew exactly what the deal was.

So they had an impromptu play date! Ian stayed over to play a little while. I felt terrible! A crash play date! Bad neighbor!

Our neighborhood does an annual little Easter Egg hunt for the kids and I got the invitation and thought we would run over and do it. It's getting more fun to do these things as Duncan and Ian are finding so many new neighbor friends. It was on Saturday (right?) at 11:00 so that would work easily for us even if we did a city hunt or something.

So on Friday I got all the kids ready to go and we headed out the door to go on a walk/bike ride! (This needs it's own paragraph because I don't think everyone understands what this all entails...)

As we are headed out the neighbor asked if we were headed to the hunt. What? What? While I think we would have made it in time I didn't have any eggs to contribute so alas. No, we would miss it! Ugh! Really?! I avoided that area of the neighborhood until I knew they were done and then we stopped to say hi. We ran into a cute little person who shared an egg with Duncan and Ian. It was so sweet. Nice little person.

Determined to make something happen right, we decided to take Shannon and Tracy up on the offer of going to their city egg hunt with them. (This was wise to partner up with them, we needed their assistance!) It was early, we had to be 20 minutes away from home at about 8:45. Odds were not in our favor. But, we did it! We made it!

Once there, Tracy took Duncan and Charlotte to the 5-6 group, I took Ian and Grey to the 3-4, and Matthew and Shannon took Asher and Asa to the 1-2 group. The countdown begun and Ian was off! And I mean off, like a dart, like a dart that doesn't stop to pick up any eggs. Yes, he didn't get any eggs, he was just running around with his cute little basket looking pretty adorable. 'Oh, eggs! I will get this one...' He was pretty selective. He only got four eggs total. But he didn't stop he was running and running and running. There weren't any eggs left but he was running around like he was looking for them but having seen him skip over what must have been a hundred eggs just moments before, I knew it wasn't eggs he was looking for. I had to walk all the way across the circle to retrieve him! You would think it was actually early Spring and they haven't had enough time outside or something!

We met back up with the crew where Asher was screaming his fool head off because he can't settle for taking a bite of something he wants the WHOLE THING. Now. So I think it involved chocolate... but he was sad. Charlotte and Duncan were cracking their eggs, everyone was feeding their faces. Good times. It was over in 5 minutes but at least I did something right this week. It takes a village.

Come Easter. Yay Easter! This year the kids got a couple coloring books and LOTS of candy. The Easter Bunny brought way more candy than I will ever let them eat so I am not sure what it was thinking. Oh wait... yes I do. I think the Easter Bunny had something else planned until a very (accidentally) snoopy individual went sifting through drawers he shouldn't have. All of a sudden Duncan says "Mom, why do you have these toys in here?" What? What?! Ugh! Foiled!

So sometime during the night as the Easter Bunny came the St. Patty's candy went in the big garbage.

Before I sign off, let's talk about this Easter Bunny for a minute. Am I the only one that had no idea the Easter Bunny went wandering around the house laying eggs? Key word "LAYING"? Because this thought never ever occurred to me until I read another blog this week and then Duncan asked me twice about the Easter Bunny coming to lay eggs. Is that how the eggs get there?

When talking to Matthew he, after saying I had no childhood, said that this was of course what the bunny did. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this. Bunnies do not lay eggs. Ever. Funny that I have had years to warm up to a large bunny sneaking in, in the middle of the night with a basket full of colorful candy filled eggs to hide but when faced with the prospect of an egg laying bunny it's immediately rejected.

I can't be the only one that had no idea the bunny LAYED the eggs.

Okay, after an informal survey, apparently Matthew (and Duncan) are the only ones thinking that the bunny lays the eggs! Most agree with me that he gathers them... why else would we die them before hand? (Though... REAL eggs laying out freaks me out...) Syd threw Matthew a bone and said the bunny might lay jelly beans but definitely not the eggs!


Ready, oh SO ready to get those eggs! Or not...

Only pic of Dylan, camera shy.

Very proud of the eggs he collected

Tracy wanted a shot of them together with all of their baskets but this is all he gets. I had another where Duncan and Charlotte were all about it but we lost the front two! 

Looks like he is getting in to something he isn't supposed to doesn't he?


Two very tired boys and their eggs, Easter Eve

Can't. Get. It. Open.

Egg!!!!


Hey, he spilled the Nerds, he cleans them up. Dope move with the Nerds Easter Bunny.


Oh yea, this bunny is going DOWN.


No comments: