Monday, January 19, 2009

I was reading on the enterwebs...

I have quite a few friends online. Most of them are people with children that have some kind of challenges, some great, some small... all different. It's our own little network, and we learn a lot from each other.... And we can freely talk about bejeweling our kids feeding tubes.

Well - I was online, with too much time obviously, and I was learning about a child whose mom I talked to quite a bit before Dylan's cranioplasty because her daughter had the same thing just weeks before. This little girl has a four year old sister and when her friends ask why her little sister looks different her response is "Oh that's just her... Isn't she beautiful?!" We need more of that four year old perspective don't you think?

The week before last I was told by Dylan's PT that I should try and feed her solids once a day. I tried, and honestly it was rather frustrating. She would spit right out whatever went in. Why then do we try? She's not eating, swallowing, practicing... Bah! So last week the PT tried to do it herself and boo! She understood why I was so hesitant, so now we are trying with a syringe. so we suck up the baby food and give her a little squirt in the back of her mouth and hope it surprises her and she swallows. She swallows her saliva, so we know she can do it! We are on day three and we might be getting somewhere but it's too hard to tell at this point. I just have to remind myself that we never ever expected Dylan to be nursing and she's a champ so we will just keep on practicing.

Duncan's pulling to a stand now. He did it once in his crib yesterday and all of a sudden he's doing it all of the time today. He saw Dylan on the couch, cruised over and up he came. Then in the cart at the store, the tub... he's all over and thinks he's soooo clever.

Jess is coming over again for Knitting Night #2! Wahoo! I need this little social activity since I don't get out enough! And Matthew's working on Suzie's basement again this weekend so yet again no NICU time, ack!

Dylie has enough hair to faux hawk, and it's stinker cute. I put a little bow in there... so sweet.


Both in the monkey jams from Trina, I tried to get good picture, even gave him the phone as a distraction but this is as good as it got. He's just too all over right now!


First bath without the chair and Duncan's delighted! He was all over the tub. A little too pre-occupied with the water spout for my comfort though so I need one of the safety covers next time I am out and about!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

We always started our kids with runny rice cereal in a bottle? She sucks okay right? Maybe it will help her taste buds adjust? Or maybe it's more a swallowing issue?
Just a thought.
Don't know if Dylan can be left with a sitter but please know my Devree is great at it. Let us know!

Shannon said...

It's getting her to swallow without the sucking association that's the problem I guys, she sucks and swallows great (now).

Good to know about Devree, I am realizing we just don't get out enough since we haven't yet had a need for a sitter other than my mom! I will have to keep her in mind!