It's official! I have a new volunteer opportunity! As many of you know I used to volunteer over at the NICU where Dylan and Duncan were. I loved it. I loved talking to new parents and listening to their stories. I loved letting them know that everything was going to be okay. I was so inspired by the beautiful babies over there and the strength of parents. To be honest, it was really a selfish thing for me...
Then along came Ian and I felt like I could no longer dedicate the time needed to do what I believe the volunteers needed to do there. So I regretfully had to stop. I am still a go to person for some of the staff that work in the NICU and I welcome the opportunity to talk to new parents about feeding tubes, transfers to the children's hospital etc. They know that, and occasionally I get a phone call.
The truth about the whole volunteer program there is that I don't think 95% of the volunteers do what needs to be done, they need to have their feet on the street and many are too shy to poke their head into the semi private patient rooms and "bother" the parents. A lot of them have been in the program for a long time, from back when there weren't private rooms, and they never had these new rooms themselves. It's a little more awkward than walking down an isle and talking to all the parents! Especially if in the room the curtains are drawn. They have to have a lot of volunteers for the NICU reunions... But it's so sad that there aren't more that are comfortable talking to the parents on a day to day basis In the comfort of their rooms, That's where it's needed, over and above any event! Someday, my closest NICU buddies and I will take over and rule the (NICU) world! But I digress...
About this new gig...
A couple of months ago one of my imaginary friends emailed me and asked for my "real" contact information so that she could refer me to the Parent and Family Advisory Board for the children's hospital. She said I would be perfect, I was flattered. She has been on it for a year or two and enjoys it a lot.
What is it? It's a group of children's hospital frequent flyers who are on a board with hospital staff to give ideas and feedback about hospital processes. Each member is asked to commit to two years with an option to stay on for an additional two. So what's required? Monthly meetings, that can be taken via conference call! How awesome is that? Well, they ask you go in to meetings occasionally, but the people on the board all are caretakers for the frequent flyers, so they understand coming in for a couple hours uis a bit of a challenge. The initial application had some of the changes the feedback committee was involved with, good stuff!
Fun right?
So the last couple weeks I have had to go get another flu shot and another tetanus shot (Oh sure, I could probably drudge up some records, but what a pain!), I also had to get a drug test and something to do with TB. My training is in November and my first official meeting is the first in the new year. Yay fun!
Looking forward to getting involved again!
1 comment:
I'm so glad you're my go-to person! You're the best and PCMC will be better off with you to shout your opinions! I do hope one day you take over and make the parent volunteer group what it should be. It's sad, some parents don't even know there is a parent support. Give your kids hugs and smooches for me. :)
Post a Comment