We went to PT with Mike on Tuesday at an indoor playground, much like a McDonald's but bigger and nicer. She did really well but he did notice her hands were dry and red from her putting them in her mouth. He asked if I would like her to stop doing that. Uhhh... yes! It's one of her goal on her IEP for school. More playing and less mouthing. He suggested The Bamboo Brace for her.
I knew that he and his wife had come up with this brace to help kids who can't bear weight on their arms. It's been featured on the news with a little clip of a girl who was starting to use her arm to crawl, she hadn't been able to before but because this holds her arm straight she can now progress. He has also traveled back east to PT conferences to promote it. But, I didn't realize how cool this thing was!
When you think of the medical braces used to keep kids hands off their faces and stuff (I am thinking cleft repair, but another mom said eye surgery) You think of those BIG fabric braces. Bless the company's heart, they have tried to make them more attractive but they are ugly, and big! But the Bamboo brace is little it just goes for a couple of inches above and below the childs elbow. It's neoprine with a little pocket for a 'stay' which is a plastic piece of varying thickness that will go along the inside of the elbow. Depending on the thickness of stay, it can be easy, or pretty difficult for the child to bend their elbow.
For Dylan the goal would be that she could put her binki in, she could mouth things if she wanted to, but the difficulty of doing so would discourage her from doing it. Can you say woohooo!? Another tool to help her with her goals!
I must say, she isn't that much of a fan at this point. Okay... she hates them. I am sure this whole playing thing will take a bit to get used to! She wanders around and whines a little. Poor girl. I promise this is for your own good. Especially, ESPECIALLY in school! YUCK!
Ian didn't get to go to the playground, he stayed with Aunt Meggie. In hind sight, Ian would have been fine, I should have left Asher! Oh well, now we know for next time. Yay, right Meggie? TWO babies!
Tonight is the last day of ASL class, boo hoo! Back when it started there were a crazy amount of people n the class, like 30-35, maybe even more. But it gradually dwindled to only about 10. Yay for us being a couple that hung on! I know how to say quite a bit, but then I think about signing everything I say all day long and I realize just how much I don't know! Not to mention my fingerspelling is S L O W. I need to practice. They will be doing a nonverbal gesture class in January for three weeks and then picking up again with a new beginner and intermediate class in February. I think the teachers are thinking that we would all move into the intermediate class but I don't think we are quite there yet! We need at least one more time in the beginners class and then we will see where we go from there. (Those of you who want to go with us, mark your calendars!)
We are teachng Duncan a couple signs here and there but really should get serious about it.
This would be Dylan giving me a dirty look right after I put her braces on. What? Did you think she didn't give dirty looks? Now you know!

Obligatory messy face picture - Peaches!

TEETH! Look at those big old bad boys on the top!

We will miss seeing this face more than once a week. Well, not THIS face... but you know. Thanks for taking ten of these lovely things Eden. Too bad you knocked it off auto after this one, there was serious model potential there!
No comments:
Post a Comment