Insert drum roll here... An iPad!!! With a cute little note saved right there on the screen that said To Dylan... With love from daddy.
Shannon and Tracy were over this weekend and Shannon really put the heat on the iPad issue, probably just because she was tired of hearing about it, but whatever... it worked! We had a serious chat about it over the weekend, to wait or not to wait. I told him everything having to do with logic had me wanting to wait. Apple products improve ten fold the second generation, there might be a price cut near Christmas... everything said to wait. Well, almost everything. I told Matthew I just had a nagging feeling that we should get it as soon as possible. The things I had heard that were possibly coming in the next generation (Better resolution, camera capabilities, etc) didn't matter when it came to simple cause and effect games. Large memory? Shouldn't matter with no movies (or very few), no music and no photos. So, why not get it in her little hands this very minute?
It was charged and ready to go... I quickly referenced my running list and downloaded program after program... most free, and only one costing $4.99 (Sparkabilities). Sadly avoiding the Dr. Suess books which come highly recommended but are $3.99 a piece (!!). I am sure I spent less than $25 (which may or may not have included a game or two for mommy... have you played Words With Friends? Scrabble... with anyone who has an iPhone!).
There are really quite amazing programs out there for communication (we aren't there yet...) but also learning your letters, shapes, number and everything else (Dylan's not there... but Duncan is). My girl is captivated by music, and there are programs that play simple music as you draw (Draw Stars!). Programs that 'boing' and 'pop' when you touch the red, black and white object on the screen (Baby Shapes). On screen pianos like (Virtuoso - Free and Magic Piano).
Then, the introduction... and Dylan couldn't have responded better! She loved it!
Several times throughout the day when we were carrying her past it laying on the kitchen counter she dove for it! Wanting to play some more.
I will admit, it's rather hard to work with Dylan with Duncan who is currently LOVING the Duck Duck Moose programs, Wheels on the bus and Itsy Bitsy Spider ($1.99 each). He has a "mine" problem that we managed to avoid for several months but now it's rearing it's ugly head. So, for now it's up high... at least until Duncan's nap time. I can't wait. Though, it will definately come in handy as a Duncan distraction when Dylan's therapists are here!
Yay! BEST daddy in the WORLD!
The doors on the bus go open and closed... (And you can tickle the bird!)

Watching Duncan pop bubbles!

A closer look

4 comments:
So so so so cool! :)
I have an iPad too and I love it...love it...love it...
my only suggestion is invest in a rubber case for it for the moment when you trip over something and gravity pulls it to the floor...(this happened to me, except I fell thru the baby gate and it bounced across the tile unharmed...thanks to the rubber case)
LOVE. IT.
:)
Just came across your blog. What a great daddy! We're really into apps too, figured I'd pass this on to you, maybe you'd find something useful.
We recently discovered Moms With Apps and wrote a blog about it:
http://www.bubblesmakehimsmile.com/2010/09/moms-with-apps.html
Another favourite of ours is Kindergarten Apps: http://www.bubblesmakehimsmile.com/2010/05/kindergarten-apps.html
Hope you find something useful!
Much love and respect,
Tanaya
Post a Comment