Duncan's taken to making his own train tracks with his Geo Trax. He takes apart the track that's carefully put together as the set's instructed and makes his own routes. I think it would help to have a never ending tack so I quickly closed the loop and Duncan looked at me and said "No... No Oval!!" What? Oval? I said "What? Did you just say 'no oval' to me??"
Stars and hearts too Grandma LouAnn has a star on the front of her house, we pulled up the other day and Duncan goes "Look mom, a star!" I asked Matthew if he'd ever pointed it out and he said he hadn't, random!! When I was sorting clothes I pulled out a little sweatshirt of Dylan's and Duncan ran by and pointed, "Hearts!" then "lots of little hearts!"
And counting, the other night he held up two fingers, "two dad, two." Matt said "two." The Duncan said "three... four... three... four... five... dad, five." Holding up the corresponding fingers.
This is all so out of left field. We knew he knew two, but not the fingers... though he will point to two things, give two kisses and all that. He's just such a a sponge right now... and to think I said, only a short couple months ago, that I didn't think he was ready for preschool. Bah!! I started this post a couple of days ago an even this information seems like old news now!
He also started saying "I love you" back... mark this on the calendar folks! It only took almost three years to get some pay backs on the thousand of "I love you's" that I've thrown his way, not to mention everyone else's'! Matthew took his face in his hands and said "Duncan, you're a good boy, I love you" and Duncan grabbed his face back and said "I love you too dad, and kissed his cheek." So you know mom had to try it when I heard about it! He loves me! He reaaaally loves me!!
We've also started potty training again and the first day he had a couple of wet accidents but he stopped himself and finished on the pot. Not wet (er... solid?) accidents are another story, but one step at a time. Since then though he's held his own really well and we've made some great success in this little area, yay Duncan! It doesn't hurt that we got some Thomas underwear and he gets a chocolate "num-num" (M&M) every time he goes right? He's really proud of himself and a big thanks to everyone who we've bragged to in person for making such a big deal out of it. (including Uncle Kiko who I know could care less!)
And for Dylan, she hasn't ever clapped her hands together (sometimes when she's mad, but I think that's just random flailings...), she doesn't like to hold two objects at the same time, much less bang them together to make a fun noise. The other night in the wee ours of the morning she was singing (yes, she woke Ian up, who will be moving to Duncan's room shortly...) so I went in to give her a couple ounces of water, some Tylenol for her UTI (I think that's why she's been waking in the middle of the night) and change her diaper. I handed her a little penguin rattle and she held it in her left hand and was hitting it with her right to make the rattle... rattle.
Now, I am no therapist, but I consider this 'hands working together' bit to be a step in the right direction. I was really super happy to see it and in my sleepy stupor, tried to encourage it.
We are also working on having her put things in containers... now, why would any sane person let go of some great thing that they have found? Simply because someone asks them to? Well I guess... I take her and face her with her back against a pillow and the couch, my legs around her, and there's formula can in between us. I have found these heavy music blocks make a great noise when dropped into the can, so we hand her another and hope when she drops the first it will go in the can. Then we celebrate. Yayyyy! She's actually getting better at dropping the toy when we guide her hand to the can, no longer holding on for dear life like three or four weeks ago. That's improvement too right?
Thursday and Friday I noticed a HUGE improvement with her pulling to a stand around the house with her AFOs on. FABULOUS! (Thought Saturday she seemed to take a break, she goes through phases but they get longer and longer.) She is getting a lot better although, I can tell she doesn't feel stable enough to take a step. She's so funny though, standing she keeps trying to let go and just stand there... I appreciate the effort baby girl, but we aren't quite there yet. We will be, oh we will be... but not yet.
And Ian, well, aside from cutting both of the additional teeth I mentioned is also pulling to a kneel around the house and to a stand in the shopping cart! What?! Noooo... Okay, I know some kids walk earlier than 10 months but I have kind of prided myself on holding back my "normal" kids from being mobile, and he's just not cooperating with the plan. I had him sitting in the big basket and he pulled up and was standing, facing forward, holding on for the ride. Having a great time! Him, being in the 10th percentile with height and all it's just his little noggin that's peeking out over the top of the basket. Although unacceptable, it's still pretty darn cute.
Again, that was Friday... I guess once they do it once they try all over the place? There he is on Saturday, standing at the play table, crawling in the bathroom and standing up to the tub. What? Nooo... bad Ian! Bad!
And on to bragging about my husband... he and I celebrated our Anniversary this week! Big old number 5! He, of course, spoiled me and I, of course, followed directions and didn't even get him anything! We aren't supposed to get presents for each other on these random days because we'd rather just get present all year long... see how this works? Or, doesn't work because he doesn't behave. Which, according to his mom, is just the way it's supposed to be, the wife gets spoiled! She taught him well!
Regardless of the gifts, I am so lucky to have him in my life. He is the best dad EVER, really... I am not kidding. Right now I am listening him sing Duncan a song before Duncan drifts off to dream land. He really does put in as much parenting effort as I do, and when he's home on the weekends he tried to make up for the time he's missed during the week by turning it up to 150%.
He's also my best friend who I can talk to about anything in the world. I am soooo lucky! But, MOST of all, he puts up with me! Can you believe it? He puts up with all of the cranky, tired, moody and feistiness that just doesn't translate well to the blog! Shut up! I know, right? I can't even believe it myself. He puts up with it and he still seems to like me in the end! Yay me!
And now to unbrag my mothering. Look where I found Dylan the other day, fast asleep. I swear she didn't make her normal 'I'm tired' noises and I would know, I was RIGHT there! Her food was even warming! Poor baby!

Tucked in all sweet when I moved her...

Duncan, chillin' watching TV in the laundry basket. He looks so big right? Good thing I have the ever-baby because the other two are growing up WAY too fast!



1 comment:
Ok, awesome family news, so brag brag away my friend! I laughed when I saw little Dylan sleeping like that. So cute. But then in curled up in her bed, loved it. She really is adorable isn't she? They all are!:)
Post a Comment