Tuesday, October 1, 2013

IEP and more

Matthew took Dylan in to have her braces looked at again because they were still slipping. I never did have him look at the left but it was slipping as well, worse than the right now that he had worked on the right a little. Send him back to work, these babies don't cost $3800 for nothing right? (Yea, that is how much they cost, thank goodness for good insurance, our part was $380.) He put a pad in the back of each of them, the last pad rolled up and off within a day but he told Matthew they have new glue. Okay. Worth a shot.

Poor thing has only been wearing them at school and we have been taking them off as soon as she gets home. We were told not to put her in them for longer than 8 hours yet. We have to re-start the breaking in process. I hope this works. Just less to have to worry about and we certainly don't want them bothering her! She can't tell us!

Matthew said while she was there she was walking around all over the place. She was walking up and down the halls. He said she is getting better at walking, like... less like a baby chimp and more like a normal person. I need to watch to see though, I haven't noticed but they are having her walk a lot at school so I am sure that is helping quite a bit. She doesn't walk as much around here... smaller space.

Speaking of school, we had Dylan's IEP and it was kind of a joke. No really... The only people there was her SN teacher, the D's Kindergarten teacher and the principal. No therapists, no aides. Uhmm.... okay. Basically I was there while she talked through Dylan's stuff with Mrs. K and then I was told the goals were basically the same as last year. The end.

Here is where I am torn... As long as Dylan is happy at school (and she is, she LOVES her aide that picks her up from the car. LOVES her.) then I don't much care about goals. I would care more if we were trying to integrate her into society, but honestly... really... that will never happen. She is a years old developmentally. I just want to make sure someone is with her 100% of the time and she is involved with other kids and I am good. She is getting exposed to all kinds of things that she wouldn't otherwise, they take her walking a lot, and on adventures outside.

That said, the IEP was rather lacking no?

The OT (who is the same one from the preschool) brought her to the car the day after and asked me how it went. She apologized for missing it. Now... if you remember the quasi battle that I had with the district about Dylan and feeding you might remember this gal. She basically put a wrench in the whole thing and caused me to go all mama bear. So, she isn't exactly an ally... but she had been talking to Mrs. K about the IEP so she knew I might not be happy with it. Interesting no? So I need to get in there and see what's going on. (And hope none of the key players read the blog! Ha!) Matthew is trying to arrange a day where he can go into work late and I can poke my head in places before school starts.

Her teacher did say in the IEP that Dylan walks quite a bit at school and loves different textures the grass, the bark on the trees etc. And that she loves the sound of the other kids playing and the other kid love her. She said when she wants something she will look at the object and then the teacher, the object then the teacher and that communication is outstanding and it cracks her up every time. She is good at telling us what she wants most of the time.

The SN teacher had a strong reaction to me expressing the desire that Dyl be happy and safe "I am more than a care giver!" Then prove it lady, I implore you... because anything I get beyond her being cared for and happy is golden for me. Let's see what you got!

I am pretty sure I haven't blogged since Matthew and I had an anniversary. 8 years baby! Woot! Of course, it was in this last week that we were speaking on the phone, he was at work, and he said "In fact, if you get bored..." What? Bored? Me? Really? So you think I get bored? I think my response gave him the 7 year itch. I told him it didn't matter, we were out of the seventh year so he need to get over it. And never suggest I get bored again. Haha!

Ian is sick but he is the only one. He is coughy and gaggy and has been puking all over the place. That's what he does when he gets a cough and/or post nasal drip. It's awesome. Yea, awesome. I have washed his blankets so many times in the last week I don't even want to think about it. I have been giving him the good cough medicine (he is close enough to 4 right?) to try and help and he told me it "tastes like POO!" which came out of no where and really made me laugh. Ugh, hoping he is the only one that gets this but I doubt it because he is so lovey and kissy.

And him being lovey and kissy... at church one of my church friends subbed in his class. There is a little boy named Daxton and apparently whenever Daxton does the right thing Ian hugs him and kisses him on the cheek. Shelley also stopped me at the preschool and told me he has really taken to a little girl there named Emma. He just loves special needs kids. It is so fun to watch. Will be interesting to see what becomes of it.

Greyson took a couple of steps last night, booooo! Matthew made him walk to me and the put one foot out and fall down was all I expected. He took a couple and was so proud of himself. Ugh! No growing up!

Duncan is doing great in Kindergarten, he absolutely loves his teacher. It's so sweet. He hates homework but does it because he is a good kid. (All the while, Ian is behind him BEGGING for homework!) He is reading the easy sight word books and doing well with that. I have given up on naps finally, Duncan went a few days in a row without falling asleep ad I took that as my cue. We will do a little homework during nap time and then he can play without the kids hanging around.

My next Art Appreciation lesson is next Friday the tenth. Eeeeeep!

September 30 is Microcephaly Awareness Day, wear your yellow! And if you don't have a yellow shirt, settle for yellow bows, it's what Dylan had to do! 

Grey's latest favorite past time. 

No comments: