Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Rhinovius? That's IT?!

Dylan's got it... and she's got it bad!

Poor little girl hasn't felt great for about two weeks now, actually since we started the Zonegran, and you just have to love when you start a new medication and they get sick at the same time so you don't know what side effect is from what!

It got so bad on Saturday night that we ran in to the ER! She wasn't turning blue or anything, but she couldn't breath, even through her mouth (her nose has been plugged for days!). She was terribly congested. When we got there she her little ribs were retracting but they used the suction and I had a while new girl on my hands! It was AMAZING. They also did an x-ray to rule out pneumonia... we just wanted to start off the New Year (and the new deductible) with a BIG BANG!

They let us go with a script for the respiratory clinic for suction any time within the next 7 days. Hooray!

I called the Ped on Monday eagerly expecting some horrendous diagnosis and what did I find out? Rhinovirus! "That's IT?!" I couldn't believe it... But come to think of it, the Rhinovirus is actually what got us in to the doctor last year too. Her Ped did a goo panel to rule out the big stuff and, well... Dylan and the Rhinovirus don't get along very well!

So Rhinovirus, it's a cold... the common cold really, except it comes with a nice wicked fever. (When we left the ER she was at 102!). The goo lasts for a week to 10 days and the cough can last up to 4 weeks! 4 weeks!! (Which explains why my boys are both coughing... still, Duncan's had a cough for a month already!)

Monday morning Dylan woke up with a black eye. Did you know sinuses can give you black eyes? Put me on the list of people that didn't know this! Both eyes weepy... Tuesday morning weepy and gooey and bruised. I called Dr. Ped and they had me go in, the verdict? An eye infection as a result of the virus! So an antibiotic (hooray for antibiotics!).

She is in a bad way, though the rattling in her breathing seems a bit better. I can definitely tell when she's due for Ibuprofen too, she whines and moans. It's really torture... And when she looks at you with her adorable (sticky) eyelashes flapping at you and practically begs you to make her feel better? My word, heartbreaking.

I spoke to the doctor about the Rhinovirus too and he was saying that it's a virus that's really been moving up on the list of viruses that they get concerned about. He said it may be because it's more easily identified and they have tested more but they used to just lump it in with the common cold. With regards to "pain and suffering" it's become far more important than ever thought. Interesting!

I told him between the diaper changes, cathing and potty training I have never been so healthy in my entire life! (Knocking on wood!) Dr. Ped remarked that he's the most healthy person in his family in spite of him being 'in the line of fire' because he also washes his hands far more frequently than most people.

As far as the spasms are going we haven't seen many but she's not exactly awake and around us as much so who knows. Per Dr. Neuro, some illnesses make seizures worse and some make them better! I hope it's not the illness and there really are fewer! We are not upping her Zonegran to the full dose this week because she's so sick, we are waiting until she gets better... we might not have to up it at all! (Knocking on wood again!)

Ian
My boy, who I was convinced had an ear infection busted through four molars and one little tooth on the bottom front in the last couple of weeks! That explains the discomfort.

He's also a pro at walking, he turns mid-step and no longer looks like a baby orangutan while he's walking around! (You know, both arms up to balance.) He's very proud of himself, as he should be... walking's hard! Just ask his big sister!

Duncan and his '-isms'
We were watching a little thing on TV that he liked where these birds hatch and start singing together and he said "Look mom, they're catching!"

He always, ALWAYS says "What am I gonna do mom? What am I going to do?" When he's just trying to ask how to do something or if he's having trouble getting something done.

He told Matthew and I both yesterday, though at different times "I laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh mom!"

He's taken to saying "Oh my gosh!"

His "I didn't do it" is more like "I did n dant do it!" hard to write that one out!

Not much going on with my big boy. I am going to go in the poor house supporting his poop for a train prize habit if he doesn't master it soon.

He was MORE than excited to go to school today after his Christmas break, I hope they were glad to have him!

New baby
Went in to the doctor Tuesday for my regular appointment and my sister in law Eden was in the room right across the hallway. Her appointment was shortly before mine. However, I was in the room with the ultrasound... when the doctor offered a peek at the baby of for me to run out and catch Eden I opted to see the baby! No offense Eden, but I see you all the time and we already had plans to rendezvous over the girl clothes at LouAnn's after the appointment!

Cute little baby! (If I do say so myself!) The pictures printed from the old machine don't look as good as it does on screen but this little one has an Ian face! It was fun to see and per my request, we steered clear of the bum area!

Since Eden's baby girl is due the end of February we split up the girls clothes so she could get cracking at the nesting. I have a bin of very pink newborn clothes that I am not exactly sure what to do with at this point... I might be dropping them off on Eden's door step come February 19th! We shall see!

I couldn't have her on me, she was HOT, we were HOT... so I tricked her with blankets, pillows, sweatpants, whatever was handy that I could form into the human form! This was the night before the black eye.


Tuesday morning at the doctor...

Baby face

No comments: