Monday, January 24, 2011

25 things that make special needs parents happy

At least this one anyway... and specifically in regards to my little girl.

1 - Watching friends, cousins, nieces, nephews, siblings and more treat special needs kids awesomely because of the influence your child has had on them.

2 - Finding doctors and therapist that believe in your kids as much as you do.

3 - Realizing that when random strangers tell you how "lucky" you are to have a child strapped in a wheelchair because their kids are running wild through Target they really have good intentions... really. (This applies to other inappropriate random comments... And yes, it really happened to someone I know.)

4 - Watching something that doctors tell you will never happen happen.

5 - Then watching everyone who ever believed in your daughter say "I knew it! I told you so!"

6 - Realizing that it's okay if you don't do EVERYthing the therapists say you should be doing, every day (even if you aren't 9 months pregnant).

7 - Watching how much your kids love eachother and having your son ask "Where's Dylie?" When she's been in bed for two minutes.

8 - Having your special needs girl completely over-react and be dramatic (just like a little girl should).

9 - Being okay that your three year old still uses a 3 month old's binki, her teeth are never going to be anything other than perfect (for her) anyway right?

10 - Being able to celebrate the 'inchstones'.

11 - Having support from random strangers who you now call "family". (One of my "friends" did a shout out for extra 60 CC syringes, before I saw and could offer to send a box she had 25 responses from other "friends". A.maz.ing.)

12 - Realizing just how not alone you really are, bloggers, support groups, "friends". I love my "any-cephaly" family.

13- Finding your dog sleeping right next to your special needs kid's door. (Even though he's fallen down on the totem pole significantly!)

14 - Having your niece and other family members want one of these shirts (3elove.com) as much as you do.

15 - Having friends think of you first when they know someone who needs advice, needs support or just want someone to talk to.

16 - Having doctors say "We will need to fix it if she ever drives" and being able to laugh (and laugh at others who start laughing when you tell them!).

17 - Learning how to not compare your children to books, milestones, time lines or each other.

18 - Liking - Really liking the people who work with your children - teachers, therapists, nurses - and building lasting friendships with them.

19 - Knowing that someone has always been there before you and knowing that you're that person for someone else.

20 - Having your child be the one to give others HoPE. (Dylan's video of her taking a couple of steps made international 'news' when Alfred's mom posted it on her blog, in Swedish! You can see her post here, Google Translate is our friend!)

21 - Having your Pediatrician tell you that you're right, regardless of what the other doctors think, because you're a mom and no one knows their special needs kids like their moms do. (This does not apply to the other kids who I am nearly clueless about!)

22 - Watching Dylan clearly skip over her least favorite song (The Lone Ranger Theme) on her favorite musical toy. Cracks us up, every time.

23 - Finding out that you have more patience that you (or anyone who's ever known you) ever thought you would.

24 - Having random strangers come up and talk to my kids... all of them.

25 - Figuring out that you can handle anything that Heavenly Father throws at you (not that we are asking for it...)



Idea for this nearly stolen from Love That Max - You can read her list of things that make special needs parenting easier by clicking on the link. I decided to go with happy instead!

7 comments:

Sydnie said...

Shannon, you're amazing and awesome and funny and smart and cool!! Love this!!

eden olivia said...

Everytime i read your blog i cry! For good reasons.

Anonymous said...

I love when you post stuff like this! It touches my heart and makes me smile. #4 made me cry because its so true for us right now. thanks for the post!

Bugg's mama said...

What an awesome list! Agreed!

Hooray for being famous! Congratulations to Dylan for taking some big girl steps. WAHOOooo!

Love, Bree

Unknown said...

You're such a good mom! That was a very cute post.

Shannon said...

I am glad you guys liked it, sometimes when I do these posts I feel like I am turning up the "cheese" factor to high!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this! I'm so thankful for our 'special' friendship, and our games on Words with Friends- even if I have been slow with my responses lately. :-)