Sunday, December 13, 2009

Yay! We have a baby!

Yay! We have a baby! A really round, short, chubby baby! And here's his birth story.

We decided to get induced because my silly doctor and his missing colon! We weren't sure when he would be back working after this major surgery but I was told by the other doctor in the practice that he was covering his Tuesday the 8th call day so we did it up! Okay, okay, Not only did I want my own doctor, but let's face it, we already knew that this one was going to be big!

They called me the night of the 7th and told me that they call you in depending on how busy L&D is, and to wait for a call in the morning. We were told to call by 10:00 if we hadn't heard anything... but they could call as early as 5 am. WHAT?! So it's like a service call, with a 5 hour window? Yup!

At 7:30 the phone rang... she warned of LOTS of snow and asked about our timing. I am silly... and apparently should have looked out the window at the several inches that had fallen before I said 45 minutes to an hour! We called my mom for her sitting services and showed up at L&D at 9! Running a little late, and a sign of how the day was going to progress!

A woman who lived in our Neighborhood, manages the L&D department and we were greeted by her there. What a treat! Really! I think we got the full star treatment because she is the one that got us all settled and started my IV (very kindly and delicately), not notmally her job. It was really nice having her welcoming face and company for that first little while! Plus we got a little more of the ins and outs than we would normally have!

Once my contractions were established I opted to go ahead an get the epidural... I didn't wait very long, but I was afraid it was going to be one of those things where I waited to call it in and he was busy and two hours later he showed up.Totally rational right? So before I was even in major pain we called, and probably not even 5 minutes later there was a knock at the door. Oh well... might as well take it easy!

The Pit did it's job, my contractions were very close all day long, unbenounced to me, giving my body quite the workout! They were regular, and fast... but not strong. Grrrrr... But allowing me to chit chat and shop, and do whatever else I wanted to do on my handy little laptop. That's right... for about 10 of my 12 laboring hours I was available by instant message! Got to love technology!

I am apparently quite sensitive to the medicine in the epidural I got nauseated shorty after the epi was done and my blood pressure SANK to 72/48, which I find quite impressive! We weren't sure what that was all about but figured it out later that night when I was shown the 'boost' button to give myself an extra shot! 15 minutes later... blech! (Followed by some nausea medicine!)

When I was fully dilated at maybe 7:00, they checked the baby's position and discovered he was posterior. Hence why he wasn't cooperating and moving down nicely. Dr Delivery tried very hard to turn him and pull him down with some regular pushes but it wasn't working so well. They backed off and had me lay in a very interesting position for a half hour and flip! He turned. So cooperative! Should have tried that first and our little guy's battle wounds might not be as bad!

Our chubby litle guy made a noisey entrance into the world at 9:26 in the evening after only about 15 minutes of pushing. He was a pretty shocking 8 lbs 9 ozs and 20 inches long which no one in the room expected. He had the shorted pudgiest little legs I have ever seen on a newborn. Dr. Delivery also said he had probably the shortest umbilical cord he'd every seen, it was about 10-12 inches long... making it even more miraculous that he was so easily turned from breech and a posterior position!

After nearly 24 hours with a push, and maybe a little shove, from Shannon and Tracy to get the ball rolling, we chose Ian Matthew as the perfect name for our little guy.

We are so happy with little Ian - He is absolutely gorgeous and I am totally in love.

And, most importantly (to me...), I finally got my moment. I had been telling Matthew I just wanted my "moment". You know the one, where the hold the baby up and say "It's a ___" And you get to see and hear your new responsibility in all it's gooey wonder! then the flop onto mom's belly for a little loving, off to do a quick assessment and then back to mommy for some more. That amazing moment that I feel like I missed out on with the twins. *That* moment! And I got it! And I loved every second... almost worth having another!

Ian getting a little kangaroo time


At least one of us has a really. long. day.


Sneaking a few pictures


Grandma LouAnn and Ian on home coming day


Close up with grandma

7 comments:

MommyRohner said...

Amazing! I'm so glad you got your moment. Congratulations on baby Ian.

Wendy said...

I have been watching for this post!! Hurray! I am so glad you are both home and healthy!
CONGRATS SHANNON! Motherhood becomes you!

Rachel said...

yay! I knew it would be a boy! (: He is gorgeous. Congrats!

Our Little Corner said...

"The Moment" is fun. It's also fun to call people and tell them what the sex is. I'm all for doing it that way. I love the name. Congrats to all!

Jen M. said...

He is beautiful!!! Congratulations!! :D God bless you all!

Unknown said...

I still can't believe how cute he is! Congrats again, and let me know if you need anything!

Kim said...

Congratulations, Shannon. I kept meaning to check your blog to see if you'd had the new baby yet. Hope your family has a wonderful Xmas & Dylan is starting to feel better. My husband's name is Ian! I love it.
- Kim (Julia's mom)