Tuesday, May 19, 2015

2015 Ogden Half Marathon Recap

Sara and I ran another race this last weekend and I was not prepared in many ways but we got the job done! It was such a memorable race... and one of the few I am doing this year, that I have to blog about it!

Several weeks ago Sara was doing some MASSIVE mileage training for Boston and I couldn't keep up so we had to part running ways briefly. The problem with that is that my BRF has much better cadence than me and I watch her feet for timing. (imagine that, she's always in front!) My typical stride is way too long, causing harder impact and possible injury. I found this all out the year I started running and had to take a couple months off because I hurt my "sartorious"... well... the tricky little thing that it is, it started hurting again when I fell back into bad habits. I took two+ weeks off, started again (also without the now injured Sara!) was very discouraged with my efforts (major whomp whomp) and started feeling that twinge again so I decided to skip running for the two weeks leading up to this half. I didn't want to hurt it bad enough AT the half to make me have to stop running, which is what actually happened the first time around at my first half ever.

Yikes! No training though! Muscle memory right?! Right? I was nervous!

I knew Sara was injured and she said we could take it easy like a training run. (Her easy is not my easy though... she had been given permission to run 5 miles out of her "boot" and they were 8:30 min miles!) I didn't believe her though... I had a feeling I would be running on my own. Which was fine though, we don't usually race together. I prepped the ipod and made terms with it.

The weather was not looking too good... we brought long sleeves and thought it was good dress for the 45*, 40% chance of rain and 9-12mph winds. I run hot so I thought this would do. When we woke up that morning the rain was changed to 100% for the three hours we would be on the road. What?! Not a little rain, not a chance. POURING RAIN. Mother nature wanted to show a several thousand runners who was boss that day! And boy did she!

Sara brought garbage bags, which we ran in the entire race. It was the longest we had ever run in garbage bags having previously pulled them off after a couple miles warming up. And yes... she stayed with me the whole time!

It was freezing. My hands were so cold they were numb. I couldn't get to my race gummies or change ipod songs! If we hadn't fueled at 8 miles I wouldn't have been able to open the package, I barely could as is! The wind smacked us in the face with about 2 miles left (it was far less noticeable in the canyon). So, freaking cold and wet!

After it was over we were completely frozen we were shaking uncontrollably for an hour (or more) until we had a chance to sit in the hot tub. I do not remember being that cold... ever!

That said this course was positively delightful! Not only was it beautiful but it was rolling hills, net down. My Garmin said we gained 500 feet and dropped 1,000 and that mix of rolling down, but not extreme down, made for a great running experience. Even though there was a decent hill at the beginning, more of this race was in the canyon than out at the bottom which is atypical for Utah races.

Of course it helped that we also took it easy and I didn't feel like Sara was going to kill me I am sure.

We ended up with 2:13 which is excellent for no training in the 5 weeks leading up to it. Like... way better than I expected, especially for how good I felt running! At mile 8-9 I told Sara I didn't know what pace we were keeping but I felt great! She even said "do ya?" Because she is clearly used to my whining.

If I am alone I have a hard time after mile 11 even though the finish is close. Sara gets the "two-mile crazies" and speeds up for the last two miles, I had to reel her in but she did slow up for me. I have a tendency to take little walk breaks at this point... and once I walk once I just think it's okay to keep on walking occasionally.  I was definitely in "one foot in front of the other" mode during the last mile but I ran the whole time.

This was half number 11 for me. (WOW!) And so much fun this one is going on the schedule again next year. Rain or shine! But hopefully shine... or partly cloudy... regardless, I will be more prepared next year! Bring all the clothes!

My group of running buddies!
(Those three on the left did the full! 26.2 miles in the rain, snow and hail. Uhm. No.)



This picture is AMAZING and taken by another blogger.
Shows how rainy and wet it was. Not how windy and cold, but use your imagination. :)
(Posted with permission from www.running180.com)


The medal is really cool too, and I love the yellow! Full's got a blue ribbon. they earned more than a blue ribbon and a fancy medal IMO. 



2 comments:

Tricia said...

Great job! There is so much here I have never even thought about! I really look forward to ragnar with you all!

Unknown said...

Girl. 13.1 miles in a garbage bag. You two rock! And 2:13 no less. Great job!!!