Thursday, June 7, 2012

Dream Night at the Zoo!

Last Friday night we went to the zoo for Dream Night at the Zoo which is a night at the zoo for special needs children. We got tickets through the children's hospital. Apparently the zoo had a record number of visitors that day because it was the grand opening of a TON of new (very cool) exhibits so I was very grateful to know that Dream Night at the Zoo was after hours!

Even though there were fewer people at the zoo I bet there were at least 4 times as many wheeled vehicles, the place quickly filled with strollers, wagons and wheelchairs. People were laughing that a lot of the families were pushing two things, we had the double stroller and a wagon ourselves. We felt right at home passing people who's main topic of conversation involved therapies!

It was not nearly as crowded as a regular old day at the zoo and many of the animals were up and about due to it cooling down after a hot day. The new polar bear was walking around his new home and the tigers were even moving around. One even went for a swim and the kids could watch through the glass. Very cool!

As we were walking around a building there was a big bird cage and I thought I heard the bird say hello... I was like 'no way!' so I stopped and we started talking to it. At one point a little girl walked up and said "Hiiiiiiii!!" and it said "Hiiiiiii!!" right back at her! It said 'hello', 'pretty bird'', "hi" and laughed really silly on cue. In fact, when it made us laugh out loud the silly bird would start laughing right back at us! It was really funny! Of course, the whole time we were chatting at it my obsessed son kept saying "Train! Say traaaaaiiiin. Train!!" I tried to explain that it probably didn't know how to say and  train... enough boys come by and it will learn that word soon enough I suppose.

Ian had a blast! He loves animals! Well, he loves just about everything but especially animals. Duncan just wanted to move along the entire time which I have to admit was a little annoying, especially because Ian could look at the animals all night. We closed the night down, staying until 9. I couldn't believe it was that late since our usual bed time is 8.

On Sunday we went to the family cabin for the first time this summer and it was HOT up there! I was surprised, normally it's quite a bit cooler at the start, but it was unseasonably warm in the valley so that explains it. Barely a sweatshirt needed. I didn't notice too many bugs but I was inside with Dylan and Asher most of the time. Ian got a bug bite right on the crown f his head but that was it.

This week we went for therapy at the park again which means we were really on top of things. Usually we are a few weeks in between therapy because of sickness, weather, scheduling and what not but not this time. Dylan did a great job climbing the cement pyramid of steps. Really great. And Mike also had her do a good run of stairs up to the big slide. He said when she got an attitude he would just allow her to use the side she was stronger on and she would stop complaining. She loved going down the big turny slide with Mike and was smiling big. She is finally thinking slides are fun without having to warm up to the idea and that's kind of fun.

Even though we started at 9:00 in the morning it got pretty warm there towards the end of the session. I was ready for a cold beverage and a good sit in a nice air conditioned room! And it was only 10! The boys like it though because whenever we go to the park we sit ad drink a Capri Sun in the car before we leave.

We are at a point where we are deciding whether or not we will continue on with therapy. We love Mike but the sessions are so expensive and insurance doesn't help us because he is out of network and we have a ridiculous out of network copay to meet. That along with it being so HOT outside means we can wait a little while to see anyway. To be determined...

Dylan has been getting quite tangled in her food tube lately and it's driving me bonkers. I literally have to free her from her ankle bindings at least two times each 1/2 hour feed! She will either get it wrapped completely around one ankle (like 8 times) or she will impressively attempt to hog tie herself and get both ankles. It then pulls the tube tight and stops the pump because it thinks it's out of food. Every time I unwrap her I try to appreciate the fact that she is mobile enough to hog tie herself because many of her tubie friends are not. Trying to be thankful here! To bad she hates the backpack so badly or I would make her wear it.

The other day Duncan said "watch mom!" when I was downstairs. He climbed up the little plastic slide we have downstairs and he stands at the top, facing the stairs, and proceeds to do a front flip onto the big cuddle bag we have... a FLIP! What the...? Heart attack now? Or wait because it's just going to get worse when he moves to the trampoline to do it? Yikes.

We never did move Duncan's room downstairs... there is a little bit of procrastinating going on. We shall see.

Riding the train at the zoo, is it just me or did this ride seem SO much longer when you were a kid? Notice the lack of crowd! Woohoo.

My boys petting a great big snake!

Dylie was just along for the ride, thanks for the tickets pickle!

My new besty, the talking cockatoo!

This giraffe was SO close! It looked Duncan in the eye when it lifted it's head to look around.

"Go hop up on that rock and smile" totally works!

Showing a little love to Aunt Ami

When one puts an arm around the other, choke fest, but both doing an arm is perfect!

Please don't just me by the status of her nose. They just walked up and I had to capture the moment... 


Asher was in the stroller for therapy and he was VERY patient!

Ian made it all the way up and squealed at me when he thought I was going to help him!

Dylan's cloud she made with puffy paint at school. It has her fingerprints all over it... so to speak. 

1 comment:

Gramma Char said...

I love reading about the kids. And they are so darned cute too!