Sunday, March 18, 2012

Just another week in paradise!

Well, so far the tiny uppage of Dylan's seizure meds have not stopped the spasms. She had another incidence that lasted as long as the last (seemed like forever) but they weren't as dramatic. But, we will see, I don't question question the man with like, a hundred, year of experience with this stuff! Okay, not a hundred, but lots. Every time people ask who her Neuro is and I tell them Dr. Thompson they say "Isn't he retired?" Well yea, he was when he took Dylan on. That's why I have his home number! I never call it though, I call the nurse, I would feel silly calling him at home unless she has some major seizure disorder. (Knock on wood.) We will take Myoclonic Spasm and hope puberty doesn't bring on any other major seizure challenges. (It's very common for kids like her to develop additional problems around puberty, it's really almost a continuous worry of mine... And it's years away! Have to worry about something I guess...)

I will give it another few days and probably call after I see them the next time.

I never heard back about scheduling for the EEG, but the SB Clinic is a busy place and I will just follow up with the woman that schedules things on Monday. I am sure she will remember and be very apologetic but let's face it, if I were in that much of a hurry I would have followed up with her last week already! EEGs stink, and especially when only one parent is there to do it. Matthew ends up taking all of his vacation for appointments and stuff throughout the year but we don't go anywhere exciting anyway so I suppose it's all good! Glad he is able to, many working parents wouldn't be!

On Friday I had to go to Primary to do the Sim Lab. Basically they wanted parents who have experience with hospitals and broken kids to be put into a scenario where you are given bad news, that the hospital made an error. It's to help train Residents to communicate with parents and its part of a study they are doing. Apparently they had hired actors but they found that they weren't getting results that were as accurate as a typical parent would react. Going in to it I knew the Residents that had me would love me because I wouldn't get mad. I mean, it's a big deal, but if my questions are answered, there's a plan in place and ultimately my kid is okay? Yea, what would be the use in getting angry? What would that solve?

I only got to do it once and she was great, like really great, and afterword at a debrief she did say she has had normal parents and angry parents and because the angry ones are more memorable she was expecting me to be far more angry. I guess I could have been... But the girl who runs the lab and I had talked about that it makes a big difference if you, as a parent, have heard lot of bad news. Everything in perspective. I also said it helped my kid was stable, if it were in the heat of things I probably would have been more freaked out. I would also probably be better Ina. Second run because afterwards I thought of other things I should probably ask.

I also had a minute to talk to the girl about the Sim Lab and the types of medical scenarios that they run the lab. It was fascinating! What a fun job. She told me all about the "dummies" that they have and what they do and how much they cost. They actually have one that you can put a medication in the IV and it accurately responds to the medication given! WOW! Isn't that impressive? If the "child" 'crashes' and you intubate them correctly and bag them, their stats will automatically come up! We talked about this because the child who was "mine" was in the bed next to us breathing, with stats in the screen, just to help make the scenario a little more realistic. (Although, Realistically, I do make cuter kids than that one...)

There are also four cameras in the room recording everything that happens. Not so much for this type of scenario, but if they have a whole team working they would have what is going on from all angles for review and teaching.

Ami had quad duty, but thankfully I was out an hour and a half earlier than I expected. But we still hung out at Ami's house. She has swings, backyard toys and Cheetos, sounds like a little boy's dream! And Duncan was following around Jenna's friend Macey like a puppy. Asher broke a clay pot though... While I was there! Bad me! Tipped it over... Sheesh. I owe Ami and her family something nice, even though they claim it's just sister duty!

We did a boy bath part the other night (humming... Saturday is a special day...) and did the typical two bog boys together in the big tub with Matthew and Asher and I in the small tub. But Duncan got in trouble and pulled out so I was lotioning (Matt refuses) and he was getting Ian out and we were both watching Asher. Then he snuggled up with Ian and I offered to let them snuggle and pull out Asher next and went to get him... But he wasn't alone. Dylan was next to him, fully clothed, triumphantly holding a cup (girl loves her cups!). Asher was very pleased he had someone to share his tub with! She looked so cute! So proud! And so... So... Wet.

I don't know how Matthew did it, but he figured it all out (I was lotioning after all) and Dylan got her bath that night too. It was one of the last things I expected from Dylan, she doesn't like baths as much as typical kids do and it requires a bit of climbing! Goes to show that when the girl sets her mind to do something she doesn't let much stand in her way!

Girl wanted a bath I suppose! I must add, the yellow water was a tub color for Asher! It loos terrible (but very healthy!).


Ian had to tuck Buzz in the other day when he went down for his nap. he did it, and then snuggled in next to him and I ran to get the camera! He is such a sweet boy!


It's like a right of passage, I have pictures of all the kids doing it.

No comments: