Friday, August 6, 2010

Absolutely Adorable AFOs

We took Dylan to her follow up Orthotics appointment yesterday to pick up her AFOs! Yay!

They are so adorable! He said normally they don't have purple velcro but they had a woman specifically ask for purple so they just happened to have it to use! Yes!

She actually didn't seem to mind them. When we put them on she shook her leg over and over to see if they would come off and since they didn't she seemed to be okay with this being the way things will be. She's so great like that... she might be miserable and uncomfortable but she has great coping skills and she just goes with the flow. She was crawling around (actually chasing the Orthotics guy because she wanted his shoes for some reason...) but didn't try to stand up.

After, while grandma LouAnn still had the boys, we ran to the mall to get some Crocs, the shoe that the original Orthotics guy had recommended because they provide traction and they will stretch over it. After trying on several styles we found the ones that fit PERFECTLY, but they didn't have them in purple (boohoo!) so we got black for now and will look for purple ones online. They are two sizes bigger than her normal size to fit over!

She will wear the AFOs for an hour the first day, 2 the next, maybe 4 the next... building up to an 8 hour a day wearing. By the time we got back to grandmas for a few minutes she had been in them about an hour already so we took them off... I dressed her in purple today to get some good pictures!

It was a super long day though, we had gone to Neonatal follow-up that morning. My favorite part is when the Opthamologist dilated Duncan's eyes and then the Speech therapist took him back, pointed at small cartoon pictures and expected him to say what the picture was. BRILLIANT! There's nothing about this state run program that isn't awesome eh?

The Audiologist once again said that Dylan didn't pass in her left ear and to take her in. But once again, we told her we wouldn't be doing that until she goes in for another appointment where she would need to be sedated. Perhaps her ASD repair, the initial appointment for that will be a year from now. I am so obedient. Needless to say, I am thinking we will ask to not have to go in to that appointment again. There's no real reason why we should have to since we see so many specialist elsewhere and guess what... surprise! Duncan's 'normal' and caught up to his peers so the preemie thing for both of them is really irrelevant.

I wouldn't be a brat about it if it wasn't such a wicked long day. Four hours and we skipped speech for Dylan (and Duncan's was cut short) and skipped the Audiologist for Duncan. Throws off their nap schedule, eating, and everything else. The mood in the wait area gets pretty feisty after about 11:30 when the kids are just plain tired of being there.

Last night Matthew graciously offered to send Duncan and I to our first mommy/son movie together! Toy Story 3! I knew he wanted to take Duncan really badly so it was so nice of him to offer to stay home, his duty shouldn't be too bad, it was 6:30 and both the little ones had just gone to sleep - wacky schedule day! I talked to my mom because she was planning to stop by to let her know that we would be gone and asked her to go. It was a grandma/mommy/Duncan movie!

It was exactly how I expected it to be, he walked in hold each of our hands and stared in amazement at the people and the lights in the big theater! He loved the action! We waited in line for treats, he got his own kids pack (thanks grandma!) and we headed in! I had him hand the guy our tickets which the guy ripped and handed back to him (so cute) and we went to find our seats. After only a couple minutes the lights dimmed and the movie started Duncan stared in wonder with his mouth hanging open! He didn't know WHAT to think!

He did really well, bouncing from grandmas lap to mine several times and eating his popcorn. If I had been alone, I think he might have wanted to run all over! With several bites of popcorn he said "Thank you grandma" because he knew where the popcorn came from. At one point he yelled "WOOOOOOODDDDDYYYYYY!" really really loud... but no one seemed to mind. He lasted about 5 minutes on the ride home before he fell right to sleep. Big day for my big boy!


They were long, he was marking them to shave them down.


All set! This was when she was chasing him.


She was tired, I love this "really dad?" look!


This morning


Checking them out


Standing


I don't care what you say, this is a cute baby!

4 comments:

SupermomE13 said...

Those are the cutest AFOs I have ever seen... probably because they are on Dylan! :) I am so glad they don't bug her and bet she'll be walking in no time!!

Wendy said...

Thanks to following your blog-I knew what AFO's were when I went to Joey's house this afternoon!
Dylan's are darling!
W

Rachel said...

She's a little fashionista with her cute AFOs! Soon she will be running everywhere!

Shannon said...

Thanks guys! I hope she will be running! Go girl go!