Sunday, July 18, 2010

Road trip recap!

Saturday we went on a road trip to Rock Springs to see all of my family for Uncle Dee's 60th birthday party! In spite of having hotels there and offers of accommodations we decided to make it a very long day and drive down and back the same day. Silly, really silly... but the easiest for our kids I am sure. they are not so good at sleeping away from home (and I am not so okay with Dylan licking hotel room floors, shutter!)

We decided to caravan down with Bob, Beth and Louis since they were driving down in the morning as well. It looked like we were only going to be 5 or 10 minutes late which is pretty good for us! The usual is a half hour! Yay, go us! But then we found out they hadn't stopped at a gas station yet, putting us at, yup... about a half hour late. Ha! We tried! I will be honest here, as most of you know, it's not me... I have no idea what's going on with my husbands scheduling and time estimates but they are really super wacky. Drives me nutty, but he's awesome in just about every other way so I deal.

We stopped for lunch where the buffalo roam, really... but they were roaming themselves allover the other side of the hill, not even close to us at all which was a stinker. I would have loved to show them to Duncan. I zoomed in with my camera and took a picture but my zoom isn't that great. It was actually a mom and a baby!! BUMMER! Oh well, there will be plenty of buffalo in this life to see. He got to play on the playground a little while we were there and he seemed to have a bit of fun. Back in the car and we started Toy Story 2 for the rest of the ride.

They did really well actually. Ian only slept a little bit of the time but he won't sleep in his carseat if he has the littlest bubble. He was doing fine though, and Dylan slept half of the time. About 10 minutes outside of Rock Springs she started yelling, not crying so much as yelling, she was done sitting. I would look back and say, "Don't you yell at us!" and she would smile at me a big pointy teeth smile.

We stopped at Pat and Nancy's where Pat gave me their GPS, kind of funny because Rock Springs is so small. I only knew the long way to grandma Shirley's. Needless to say, the GPS has us going right through a choo-choo train to get there, so uhmm... Well, since we were kind of in the area anyway I figured it out. Funny though. Speaking of choo-choo trains, there are a LOT in that town. Duncan loved seeing them everywhere.

Debbie and her husband were at grandma Shirleys and I haven't seen them for a really long time, so that was fun. Dylan was ready for a nap so she lost her mind. Twice. When she gets all crazy like that Matthew can pick her up and she will fall asleep in two seconds flat, I usually put her in a crib and she goes to sleep but with neither (Duncan and Matthew took a walk) she screamed her little head off. Poor grandma's ears! Finally, after round two, I put her in on a floor of a bedroom and sure enough, about three minutes later, out cold. Then her dad reappeared. Poor poor timing! It was a great long visit though but alas, it was time to go said our two oldest kids who, at this time with the lack of napping, were rather unreasonable. Until grandma brought out the cookies anyway! It was a quick treat before we left.

Duncan fell asleep about 5 minutes after we got in the car. So we drove all around memory lane for 45 minutes so he could get even the slightest nap. We drove past my other grandmas house which I almost didn't even recognize! It was trashed! So sad after grandpa kept his yard green and immaculate! Duncan didn't get quite enough sleep as he was quite the turkey at the party until he found the trucks and a cooler full of water and ice!! He was SET. Almost completely entertained for the rest of the night but he was still kind of grumpy... long day! What can we say?

McKayla is my second cousin and she kept a pretty close eye on him all night which was a HUGE help. It just allowed us to relax a little. She was a good sitter, I should have paid her! Dangit, nice of me to think of it now... Anyway. She is coming to stay with her Aunt Trina in August and Trina will have to work at least half days so I said she is welcome to come over and play with us while Trina's at work so she doesn't get bored. Not like it's exciting here... but if we go swimming or something at least it's something to do! Really though, after how closely she watched Duncan Matt was ready to have her come down and stay with us as a live in nanny until school started again!! She's adorable... is that okay to say about a 14 year old? Adorable? I am old...

After a fun evening of seeing family it was time to go. We had our share of water (Duncan... and actually his father too who started a water fight with Aunt Jane and Traci) and stories about how naughty I was as a kid. We hit the road late late. Stopped at a gas station where we topped of the gas and Ian. I got a great bubble out of him and he crashed, it took the D's about 10 minutes but all of the kids slept almost the entire ride home.

During the drive home I was feverishly texting both my mom and Beth for fun on the long ride and all of a sudden I hear "Hello?" 11:30 at night and I called someone! Grandma Shirley!! Oh my word! I felt terrible! She was up though and totally sounded as spry as ever! It was good talking to her yet again until all of a sudden reception went kaput. Were were in the middle of nowhere, I was lucky I could text all but about 10 minutes of the trip! How embarrassing though. Sorry grandma!!

I had the neighbor come let Mushi out twice but she left me a message that he wasn't very cooperative at doing his duty the second time. Funny. He was fine when we got home, she was awesome for trying. It was a fun quick trip, both Matthew and I feel like we have been hit by a truck but the kids are no worse for the wear!

She fell asleep fast... fast fast. Atagirl!


Home, home on the range!


Grandma and Ian. The good good one was blurry! What can I expect it was dark out. This one's pretty cute.


Aunt Debbie


Grandma Shirley. My camera was on the wrong setting... boo. Still super cute, but... boo!


Choo choo!


Hi mom... hi!


Looking very small


Road trip!!


McKayla, our new nanny! Wish I had gotten a better picture.


Beth and brown eyes. BROWN! Boo! I keep popping out kids to have a blue eyed one and my beautiful blue eyed sister is wearing brown contacts! WHATEVER!


Concentrating very hard.


Poor Louis sat on the chair wrong and fell through. So much for trying to inconspicuous!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for roadtrips!!! I'm glad you had fun!

Trina said...

Thank you so much for coming!!! Dad loved that you were there, he's still tearing up when we talk about it.