Well, the Ultrasound went well, she said from what it looked like, the placenta looked well out of the way and then she asked if the Dr. said anything about measuring the baby again. I told her that he didn't mention it, but I wanted to see if the kids head was HUGE before I called him in to flip it! I told her given the size of my husband and son's heads that could possible be a deciding factor for an optional c-section! She laughed... and went on to measure and then laughed some more! She said, "It's big! It's almost off the charts!" That's right kids, another child with Duncan's melon is hanging out in my belly. In fact, according to the measurements of it's head and belly it's in the greater than 98th percentile and the due date should be the 20th... of this month! One week! The guesstimate on size is 7 lbs 13 oz, with one month left to grow! And the final month they are supposed to gain a pound a week? Eeeegads! The babies femur gave me hope because it was showing more around my due date and apparently they can be up to 2 lbs off with the u/s guesstimate. But, basically, it seems it might be short, fat and have a HUGE noggin.
The U/S lady couldn't get in to talk to my Dr. about the size and flipping it so I went back to the waiting room to wait for him to get done with the patients he was in with. When I got back in and he checked me he said the baby was head down and I said 'nope' and he said' uhmmm.. feels like it is!' (So then it's short, fat, has a HUGE head AND a boney bum...) I reminded him about the ultrasound and the flipping idea and he reviewed everything and took me into a different room with a u/s machine to do the flipping.
Mind you, at this point I was a little nervous. I have heard all kind of stories about how terrible this little procedure is. Pulling, pushing, prodding and rubbing. None of it sounded very fun. But still more fun than chasing and caring for a Dylan and a Duncan while trying to recover from surgery so, let's do this. He took another gander at the cord to make sure it wasn't wrapped around any body parts, checked the babies placement, a forward roll works the best... then we got started.
He told me that the part that might hurt the worse was down by my pelvis since that's the most sensitive part. Then, he pushed... not bad actually... not bad at all. What he was trying to do was lift the bum up. He likened it to when a little kid falls in a toilet and gets stuck. Then after doing that for a minute he pushed on the little one's head and rubbed to my right. That hurt more than anything I would say, because it was more like an indian burn. The baby turned right to the side. So he grabbed the u/s again, checked it's heart rate to make sure it wasn't stressed (if so, he tells me, they would just push it right back to where it was). It was turning... easily actually. So then he pushed again and walahh! head down. There was still a lot of fluid low in my pelvis so he pushed it down a we bit more to get it settled in, listened to the heart rate for a few minutes and we were done!
Apparently having a nice round uterus is helpful, some people have long skinny ones and getting the baby to go sideways is the hardest part. Nice and round... now that I definately am. Even more so now than usual. He did warn me that it turned so easily that it might just flip right on back around. He said to try and lay propped up and to walk around a bit to get it settled. Great, so for the last 24 hours I have been a wee bit paranoid. I keep thinking I feel a head... then not, then again! My hips hurt today though, so I think it's getting nestled in but wait... now I feel it again... bah!
He also told me I had a good sized pelvis for birthing a big baby. NICE! I don't think that piece of information is a surprise to anyone, but I still think only an OB would appreciate that kind of compliment!
We tried piggies yesterday for the first time! Boy does she HATE getting piggies in! But look how stinkin' cute!

Seriously! Adorable! She has them in again today too, still hates it.

I missed the moment... again. Duncan sat down accross from Dylan and they were playing. It was adorable. She was just watching him and he was handing her the train. I love it. He's so cute with her!

But then he moved on to being a boy. He's been crawling around on the floor pushing his cars and trucks around all over the place. It's so... little BOY and not toddler. Eeeek!
2 comments:
I think it's a boy. I am convinced, therefore, I am buying boy flannel for blankets!
Patty P
BTW, the piggies are adorable!
Patty P
Post a Comment