Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Back to school day anxiety

Not the kids. They are SUPER excited! Me! I have anxiety!

Today was back to school day for the kids and it was CRAZY! I has to take Duncan over between 8:30-10, be at a different school for Dylan by 10, and then go back and pick up Ian and Asher to go back to the first school between 10:30-12. I was running late and it was madness.

On top of it, everything that back to school entails... lunch money, figuring out buses, meeting teachers, sorting supplies, doing the cute activities the awesome teachers put together. Needless to say, I am a Wolf Greeting Failure. In my haste I missed a few things that Duncan needed to do, like find his cubby and look at the 'giving tree' for additional donation ideas. I ended up just emailing his teacher admitting my failure and asking her what she needed or if I could just do a gift card. Gah! She said she was the oldest of four so she understood but geez. Bad mom.

My to-do list when I got home was a mile long! I was incredibly overwhelmed but can't do my normal overwhelmed coping mechanism of binge watching Netflix and binging out on ice cream. Apparently these little people depend on me. I need more doctor notes for Dylan, I need water bottles for the kids, some of them need changes of clothes, forms that I should have brought but accidentally left home, all of Dylan's supplies for school. Cleaning up dinner from last night... ....

I am just at a loss as to what to do with Dylan and the bus schedule. The whole reason I was driving the kids to school last year was because she was going to have to be on the bus for over an hour on the way home. Guess how long her ride is here? Ding ding ding, you got it... over an hour. They want to pick her up at 6:50 am (school starts at 8:30) and drop her off at 3:50. Seriously? An hour and a half before school starts???  Meanwhile I am supposed to get the other kids on and off a bus so is taking her in really an option?

So I was debating about it, I had actually decided that I would take her in and just have to get to the school early to be able to get home in time to meet the other kids from the bus. That's it, I would have to figure it out. Then I got word that the school traffic lines are HORRIBLE, no good and AWFUL, and my time would be taken up in the line where busses get to bypass the car line. So like, she might make it home on the bus before I could even get her. Ugh. YUCK! Welcome to rural! I thought maybe I would be THAT mom and tell the school to plan on her being a half hour late every day and leaving a half hour early and that's that but I talked to the assistant principal again and he chatted with me a bit and we came the compromise that I would see the boys off on the bus and I would bring her in but then she would ride the bus home from school.

I am still not terribly comfortable with the arrangement but I guess we can see how it goes and change it. The VP said they might even be willing to keep her for a little while after school so I could get my kids off the bus and then go get her. It's really nice of him to be willing to work with me on it. At least here the bus driver has an aide, the buses in Utah didn't. We will have to figure out how to strap some toys to her chair so she can reach and not be too bored. Boooooo.

Meanwhile Asher is in Kindy and his teacher has asked that they ride the bus from the get go which makes him SUPER EXCITED but make us feel like neglectful parents for not taking him in (or even having the desire to do so honestly...). Matthew and I will decide if Matt's going to follow the bus into the school and help get him to his classroom or if we will just leave him to the wolves. (Note, unintentional humor... the mascot is the wolf!)

We just got his supply list today (!!) so we have a bit of shopping to do which I will probably do online because I am lazy like that. Though with just Greyson... maybe? Certainly not tomorrow.

So... tomorrow... I have to run 7 miles according to my training plan. Do you know how long that will take me in Florida? A long time. It's hot here. So I get up early, run, come home get all the kids ready, see off three boys on the bus, see off my husband to chase the bus (?), get Dylan in the car and take her to school with Greyson in tow. I will then go back to the school at 11:00 to show everyone how to feed her, and then possibly back at 2 again for a partial feeding and her cathing. Then I have to get ready for scouts (Webelos, holla!) that night and prepare whatever it is I am supposed to be "teaching" them. So basically I am not looking forward to tomorrow at all.

Deep breaths.

Wish me luck.

Apparently the only decent picture that means anything since the last time I blogged.
Photo Documentation Failure. 

No comments: