And I am not okay with this! He is growing up! My cute, funny, skinny, demanding, angelic (faced) little boy is growing up. Next, it's potty training. This should be interesting, Ian just trained himself! It started by asking for an peeing in a cup in the bath and we at least have that going for us. He asks for a cup about three times in each bath...
If I can get his dad to stop just handing the kids handfuls of M&Ms we will take that approach again. One M&M is hardly enticing when you just have to wait until dad gets home.
For his birthday we did nothing. Well not much anyway. Matthew went out of town and I told him that when Asher is in therapy this was totally going to come out as one of the root(s) of the problem(s). Good thing he was only gone one night. We decorated the house with our cute happy birthday banner LouAnn made and hung streamers. All of which are still up because I think... I THINK, we are going to have cake for him this weekend sometime. Poor kid... and he isn't even last. Imagine Grey's birthday... when is it again?
He got a few presents. I had chosen a few and took the big boys to go pick out another one. It was a disaster. Little beggars. Ultimately we decided on a Flashlight Friend (commercials, they work) and done. Asher LOVES it and he is so cute with is and was really excited. The older boys are counting the months to their birthdays now because they want one SO BAD. Not Legos, not video games, a stuffed flashlight. Right.
Abbi called to sing him happy birthday and we were chilling on the couch, I was expecting her call and I turned down the volume of the TV so he could listen as she was leaving the message and he got this big huge fat grin on his face. He was so excited. He knew it was his birthday, he knew he was the birthday boy, but beyond that I am not sure he knows what it was all about.
With Dylan's IEP we were supposed to regroup around this time to discuss the changes that have been made to her program and the tracking that is in place and I received an email from her teacher asking when we should have it. Since Matthew and I quite like the changes and what we are seeing it's seems as if we don't need to meet yet but rather when we have more actionable data. So I told her it was okay.
I can't decide if I should go observe the other schools or not. It's probably the right thing to do but a) I am lazy and b) I don't know what I am missing. I do know that when I dropped her off this week and her aide opened the van door she got all kind of smiley and excited to see her. Yes, that happened. She started grinning ear to ear and looking at her, wanting to go with her. Can't really beat that can you? She isn't with that aide all day but she is with her a lot and if she likes her that much?
Then the other day I went in to go pick her up from school and she was with the special ed teacher in her room and I took her out and the other aide was there to get her so she walked with us down the hall. Dylan kept smiling and trying to talk to her, while I was holding her. Making her noises. The aide said "All we do is sing isn't it? You are waiting for me to sing aren't you?" and that is exactly what Dylan was doing, trying to get her to sing! Oh my word, it was so cute. SO cute. She just wasn't breaking eye contact with Natalie and she wouldn't stop.
Here I am trying to reconcile my bad/lazy mom thoughts. Our friend Shannon inquired and kind of prompted me to put into words the education we want for Dylan. Truthfully, as long as she is happy and loved we care more about her legacy and the impact that she has on other people over having her have true measurable accomplishments (like putting a peg in a board, or climbing stairs for example). She is happy! She LOVES her aides. That is so clear. And they feel the same way. Maybe there is a reason she is supposed to be in that school? I was told the kids would miss her if she left.
Last time Duncan got a hair cut he said "awe, I wanted it long!" And we all did a double take. Wha? This was the first I was hearing of it. So I asked him this morning, knowing another cut was looming, if he still wanted his hair long. He said yes and I asked how long and he said "Uhm... 15 feet" motioning to his shoulders. When I asked why he said "So my ears don't get cold." Can't argue with that I guess. How long do you think it will take him to get to 15 feet?
The other week Ian said "Ahhh, you scared me out of the crap!" Which was hilarious but then a few days ago he said "You scared my crap out of me!" So sad that was fleeting. You have to enjoy them when they are young and totally mess up common sayings. I am really super looking forward to Duncan feeling confident enough to write on his own. I love phonetic spelling!
The other day when I went in to get Dylan she was missing a big bow. She doesn't really like the large corker bows because she can feel them bouncing so she pulls them out. Kind of a pain for her aides and teachers but... she is a bow girl. They mentioned that all the kids comment on her bows when she is walking in the hallway, all the girls love them. Confession... this is a HUGE reason why I do it. They are her thing. I made most of them, and when we get a new outfit I have to pull out my bow box and get something going. We have to have matchy matchy! A few flowers were given to her from her cousin Giselle too, and the flowers are fun sometimes too.
My reasoning on the bows is two-fold. Girls like bows and I am hoping it will start a conversation and draw kids to her. "Oh... you like her bows? You like her!" The other reason is that I want to keep her looking young. I think it brings out people's desire to take care of her... this is also one of the reasons I want to keep her small. She needs to be taken care of by her peers. So... it might be all in my head, and my head might be a little crazy, but there you have it. We are bow nuts around here!
Birthday boy, cheesing it for the camera.
I wanted a picture of the big boys because they were cuddling and laughing as they were watching something but look who couldn't resist the lime light... "Cheeeeeese"
He's a climber...
Too bad he is not cute and doesn't have amazing dimples and eyes right?
She wasn't having pictures...
Dylan's bows, one million strong and growwwwing.






No comments:
Post a Comment