Matthew was MCing a work 5k and he wasn't home but just as we were loading the kids he called and said he was on his way. I don't think he wanted to go too badly so he offered to stay home with Dylan and Greyson. Do I think they missed out? No. It really wasn't their scene and we got to stay longer because we weren't concerned about Dylan being cooped up in a stroller, in the sun (which she hates) and hot. So it worked out well.
I threw in an extra set of clothes so the kids could run through the fountains if they wanted to too! We were set!
When we got to the fountains Bob and Beth were there, fresh off a morning hike, and we were able to divide and conquer with regards to the kids running around in the water. I can see how it would be easy to lose one without that many eyes! Granted if it were just me I would have leashes and made them stay close... this way they were able to have a bit of freedom though and what do you know? Kids like freedom.
Asher was adorable in the fountain, he and Duncan took to them but Ian was more reserved. After we got the biggest snow cone of our lives. So big we could have all shared, but what is the fun in that? Asher was baby birding it the whole time, when I scooped up a bit he gaped his mouth open hoping it was going to come his direction.
While we were sitting and eating there was another mother who plopped down next to the table and proceeded to bolus feed her tubie. I was like "look! Another tubie! I should go say hi!" Until she started yelling at all her kids and just being generally nasty. Poor kids. I think I am a yeller sometimes and then I see something like that and realize that I am still okay. I just felt bad for the older kids, they were like 8 and 10, maybe older... Old enough to not have to sit right next to the mom while waiting for the tubie to get lunch. Ugh, I felt bad for them. Remember this, remember this. When we walked away my mom commented that I handle stressful situations much better than she did! I should hope so!
This week Matthew has been off work and I was spoiled! Ugh, boo to bill paying! He had to go back Thursday and Friday for meetings. Have to keep that job I guess, it's been good to us!
Tuesday he let me sleep in until 10:30! Whoops! Asher came to get him up early in the morning and ended up falling asleep so Matthew rolled him over when he got up and there we were, Asher, Grey and I all passed out for hours. It was great though, I got to tell you... But then I was rushed since I had my hospital meeting and had to leave! Oye! Run!
I love my little peanut but it would be nice if he would sleep through the night... It's hard on me when I am up late! Good thing Matthew helps in the morning so much! (He relocates and crashes on the couch!)
We had a little play date with our neighbor Charlie. He is Ian's age (he will be four this year or is already?) and he is taller than Duncan! He just came right in and went upstairs, in Dylan's room, outside, downstairs over and over checking things out. He got a little more boy than he expected I think!
Grey had his nine month well-child and he is doing just fine, it was uneventful. He is having the heyday that all my kids have right now of being in the 75th percentile for length. It doesn't last long so they better enjoy it, I am sure he will settle in to the 50th by a year. He said that is a pattern typical for kids who have their growth spurt a bit later than than normal (like Matthew did) so maybe they won't be so short. He weighs 18 lbs, height for weight is lower, he is long and thinner.
He also tried dog food this week. Any coincidence that it was the same day he actually started crawling in his hands and knees? Probably... He actually crawls about 25% of the time but he is a fast enough army crawler to meet his needs.
The boring stuff - I bit the bullet and sign up for a half marathon - ANOTHER half marathon. I kind of wanted something to train for in between now and the princess in February, something to keep me pushing and going. I had been eying this downhill canyon run for a couple of weeks. Do I do it? Do I not do it? What do I do? Because it is straight down hill they say to run it with a friend to help you pace yourself so you don't hit it too hard coming out of the gates and crash later. Can I talk someone in to doing it with me?
The other morning I had a bout of insomnia after Grey ate and was up for a couple of hours successfully talking myself into registering. I was just going to go for it and worry about a friend later, if at all. Commit! Well, I should have gotten up and done it because by the time I woke I was back to needing to be talked into it!
Matthew walked up to me staring at the web page for it (again. Still?) and I was talking to him about it and I said "we know I am going to do it right?". At which point he walked over, put his wallet in front of me and said to get it over with! When I told this to April (one of my princess running partners) she said "Dude, in that case #runalltheraces!"
So I did it! It's in September, exactly a 12 week training plan from this Saturday. I can do this! Right?
Downhill is harder on your muscles so I plan to prop up the back of the treadmill and slowly work downhill into my running. I can do this!
Meanwhile I am trying to get to a point where I am comfortable running around 5 miles twice during the week to prepare for a long run on Saturdays. I am not doing so hot at it though! It's the comfortable part that is tricky...
I got a pretty new pair of shoes to try that I am really excited about. Matthew and I both went and got fitted at a running store. I am a late gait overpronater, good to know. No cushy shoes for me!
Saturday Traci and I have a color fun run, our first! It's going to be fun!
This is precisely what I mean when I say he baby birds it.
Most mornings... ahhh, peace. It's brief, but it's there.
Mom playing with Asher's piggies.
Dylan LOVING her new swing!
Squealing and laughing!
Biggest snow cone... ever.











No comments:
Post a Comment