Thursday, May 30, 2013

School Schmool

When people talk about the last day of school they get the sadz talking about how their kids are growing up and "my baby will be in Kindergarten!" and all that but I found it was a little sad for a different reason. I think I will miss the teachers! How hard would it be to be a teacher of these kids for the better part of the year, most days of the week, and then they just take off? Wow... I guess some kids you are probably kind of glad to see go... but then you would lose the good ones too! If it were quieter, I might have gotten a little teary when Miss Chris told me how much she loved Dylan's laugh and how much she would miss her!

Ugh, sad!

Mrs. Davis said she sure loves my kids and I assured her that there were more coming! Alas - it is what it is and I guess this is what we will deal with every year since I remember it last year too. Fortunately Ian will get Ms. Millet and Mrs. Connie next year I think. (Hope!)

I think we got Dylan's school situation figured out after months... they are even registered and ready to go!

We have kind of been in limbo for the longest time because they needed to find the best place for Dylan. Whether it be in her school or another one, she need a little more care than someone who isn't quite as globally delayed as my princess. In the middle of all of it there was some changes in staffing on the district level and we were just hanging out.

The district called me back and they want to put her in the school that we are supposed to go to. The "tier 3" classrooms like they knew them are no more and they will be able to make things work at a regular school in the same classroom as Duncan. She told me that Dylan will have 14 hours of an aide, which, for half day Kindergarten is the whole time. Since this isn't what I had discussed with my inside sources I told them I would get back to them and promptly got on the phone with the ladies to get their opinion. They were pretty darn excited actually! They eased any nervousness I had about the new situation and I went on my way. I think there is a classroom still at another school for kids who are immobile, trached and the like, I think that was still an option if I pushed for it. We have a different situation though with her being a twin and having a slew of other brothers following in tow.

The next day I spoke with Dylan's special needs teacher and I think the new idea makes her really nervous! I got that impression... and it rubbed off on me! So I called the principal of the school... we are tight ya'all, getting that way anyway! ...and she told me that classroom visits as the classrooms are right now won't provide the information I would need since the classroom might look entirely different once they make Dylan accommodations. She seemed confident that they could figure things out. I made plans to meet with the special needs teacher at the pre-school on Tuesday.

When I went to go meet Lori I was ready to let her know that I was most nervous to have her around student who are supposed to be sitting at a desk but man... Lori has a take charge personality if I ever saw one! I mentioned Dylan didn't like sitting down and she said "Well, no Kindergartner does, I hate to break it to you!" Touche... And most of the conversation went much like that. She seemed like she was able to kind of anticipate what Dylan would need and maybe how they might work the classroom to accommodate.

Lori talked about having Dylan in the room with her aide for the first hour of class which is when they do the circle time, singing, playing and that type of stuff. Things she can be involved with. When the kids sit down for activities she would take her out to have a "walk and talk" activity where she would get one on one attention and they can play, walk around the school, she can show Dylan the classrooms and all the other kids. She was excited about providing lots of stimulus for Dylan because you never know what she might respond to.

She asked about Dylan's food and I told her that she might get hungry right at the end of the day and Lori actually offered to give her a small feeding a couple hours after school started to make sure we aren't waiting until the last minute. She was intent to not stress out the pickle and to keep her attention as best as possible while she had her at the school. Great idea, I am not sure why we don't do it now! Ha!

She asked me what my goals were and I was honest with her in saying that we are super easy. I want her to be around the other kids so they can enjoy her and she can enjoy them. I want her to be loved, I want her to be paid attention too, I don't want her to be left alone. Other than that, I am good... she is rewarding to play with and to work with and I hope everyone can see that and enjoy her too. I was assured that whether it be Lori or an aide, someone will be with Dylan at all times. Debi said it will likely be like that ongoing though when she is full time she will likely have a different aide in the afternoon than in the morning.

In talking to Matthew he said that he was hoping she wasn't all talk but let me tell you, she does NOT seem like the type to be all talk! And of course I know that if I am uncomfortable with anything I can always call a meeting to discuss it.

I liked Lori, wow, what a strong personality! Did I mention that? Ha!

And so it's done. They are registered. I talked to the principal again and she was very nice and excited I was going to meet Lori. I gave Lori all the papers needed to finish registration and there we have it. Lori will meet me in the parking lot to pick up the D's at 8:50 every morning and I will have the other kids with me to then go drop Ian off at preschool at 9:00. No more convenient handicap preschool parking and pick up service though with no Dylan with me! The D's school is far away too! They are bussed usually and we drive past three Elementary schools to get to theirs (attendance numbers maybe?) and I will have to be ready a bit earlier!

We have a little bit of school left because Dylan has ESY for the special needs kids and I went ahead and registered Duncan for the Kindergarten prep class to keep up his letter skills. I think we will see his teachers then too and maybe even Shelly for Dylan? We shall see.

Wish me luck this summer, lots of kids, not a lot of outlets!

Dylan is not smiling here but when I peeked around the corner she was giggling and laughing and yelling at Miss Chris. I am sad I didn't get it on camera because she was loving it and it was cute. I think she wanted to make sure people missed her because she didn't sleep at all the last day of school! 

Duncan didn't love these teachers at all did he?

No comments: