First - I missed the "Spread the word to end the word day" which was on March 2nd. I am sure I would have had something very profound and important to say about starting to try and eliminate the word 'retard' from your vocabulary... Okay, I probably wouldn't have. The truth is, I notice when people use it... and wince. I wince for my friends who have special needs kids in school and really care that people stop using it. I might even kiddingly mention not saying it, especially if it's said in my own house... But, I didn't feel too strongly about it. Until I read what someone else had written about it. Her post was much more profound and important than mine could ever be and it stirred up some strong emotions.
I would encourage you to hop on over to Love That Max to check it out if you have the time. Really. I promise if you read it you won't feel the same about the r-word. Here's the link.
If you ask people not to use to word retard.
On to other things. Egads! Dylan's Cardiology appointment was due in February! I knew we were late, but... all I remembered was that we were supposed to follow up at three and a half, apparently slightly before that. Oh well, it's scheduled for this month, hooray!Unfortunately we had to cancel the D's dentist appointment that was scheduled because we had to coordinate an Echocardiogram, EKG as well as the appointment so we just grabbed the first one they had. I rescheduled the appointment for the dentist for the next week.
It's a crazy appointment month, Cardiologist, Endocrinologist, Dentist, Ian's Well-Child, my post-partum check up. Egads, too many things too coordinate!
Asher's great, he's a wee bit urpy but all of my kids have been but Dylan so you know, we roll with it. Extra time getting all the bubble out, sleeping in the bouncey seat, we manage. He's super cute.
Speaking of urpy, my poor little girl is sick again. Between the 'rhea and the pukes she's a big mess. I am just glad that it's both ends because when she throws up this bad I start to wonder about reflux and have other concerns so I will deal with the 'rhea as reassurance it's a bug or something. Matthew and I were up at 2:00 the morning of my birthday giving her a bath. When we went to bed (Asher was awake still...) Matthew commented that we make a good team if we don't try to get any sleep! It was a two person job anyway!
Her motility has really slowed with this bug that she has... we cannot get any food in this little person! Normally if she's sick it slows for a day or two but we are going on a full week of less than normal feed amounts. She is far too skinny for this! Yet, if we push it in, up it comes, like a very impressive fountain.
Because her eyes were a little goopy too I ran her over to Trina's house to rule out an ear infection. Trina might regret telling me she has an otoscope and is prepared to use it! It's far easier to run over there, leave everyone in the car and run a kid in for a minute or two than it would be to get to the doctor! (For that I dedicate this purple blog to her...)
And, for super cuteness, we sat down for dinner the other night and Duncan reminded us that we needed to 'fold our arms.' So Matthew helped him do the prayer.
"Dear Heavenly Father"
"Dear Heavenly Fah-der"
"Thank you for our family"
"Thank you for our family"
"Please bless this food"
"Please bless this food... ...and my ketchup"
Matthew and I tried not to crack up too much while they finished the prayer. Loving that he's starting to say the prayer himself! And his ketchup will bring many blessings I am sure.
I had a super wonderful birthday last week. The evening of my birthday Shannon and Tracy came over for a raclette dinner. Not sure how it happened, raclette dinners are a TON of work and there it was, catered... DELISH. Big fat thanks to Shannon who did some crazy running around to buy and prepare... I don't think Matthew realized how much work goes in to that type of dinner. It was soooo good though, next time we will definatly help prepare, I promise... (Men!)
Friday Bob and Beth brought me a homemade lunch. We eat out so much he figured a homemade meal would be a better treat, and it was! Yum! (Duncan also made us pray then too...). That night dinner at mom's house.
We got a visit from Trina and Steve on Saturday. She hadn't been feeling well and had yet to meet Asher. I will consider it a special birthday visit though since there was a present involved! (woot!)
On Saturday mom and Bob watched the kids and we went out to dinner with Jessica and Steve, also DELISH. We decided dinner's are the way to do birthdays, especially with this group since we are all pretty spoiled rotten. As if that wasnt enough when we walked out she handed me a beautiful cake that her sister made! The decorations were fondant, but the icing and filling were vanilla buttercream.
The cake was gorgeous, and it taste as good as it looked! Amazing! This is her website if we have any locals needing a cake or party favors. My Favorite Cake Place.
The cakes are beautiful and delicious... we were fortunate to get the cupcake leftovers from her open house a few weeks ago and Suzie (our resident dessert expert) said it was the best Red Velvet that she has ever had!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!
The bummer news of the week is that me, in all my brilliance, left the freezer door open... last Monday. Matthew found it on Saturday. YUCK. And what a waste... It was kind of sickening thinking about how much money in food was wasted. He's so sweet though, because he had already asked me to lock it every time and after he found it he said "So do I talk to you again about locking the freezer or [something else that I must not have listened to because I can't remember]" and I told him he should do whatever makes him feel better since I already elt bad about it.
He left to go feed Dylan and came back and apoligized for snapping at me. (Which he totally didn't do, he's such a nice guy!) Then he went down and cleaned it all up.
I suppose a forced clean out of the freezer was due... but ughhh at wasted food.
Chillin' on Aunt Beth (the pictures with her in them she wouldn't approve of... she looks like she is being coy.)

We had Melissa cut her hair off, not that you can tell in this picture...
Uncle Aaron is working on a railing for our front porch. It was very fascinating.
Can't really tell here either. This chick is HARD to get a good picture of, I tried all morning.
Dylie saliva and dog hair, both risks when you come to our house.
The funny part of this picture is Ian with Duncan's jammy bottoms around his neck in the background. Since we started the around the neck thing, everything goes around the neck. There's usually some item of clothing or a blanket there.
He's faking it, I promise. He looked quite pleasant in the next shot!



2 comments:
Love the purple!!! Thank you :) The cake is gorgeous!!!! I love it !!!!
yeah! happy birthday -- late, but i still mean it:)
Post a Comment